Coffee Soup

So this was something I had never heard of before and my Sister-In-Law showed me how to make it. (Thanks Steph!)  Apparently it is from way back during the Depression era where the only food you got was from the government.  So I guess, the government was giving out coffee, sugar, and cheese (I guess this is where the expression “government cheese” comes from.)  But that is basically all there is to this.  Honestly, I am glad I tried this, but …. I don’t think I will be running back for more anytime soon.  It was sweeter than I expected (for a soup anyway) and the texture was a bit, ummmm, mushy. 


Ingredients:
2 – 3 slices of bread
Coffee
2 tablespoons sugar
Splash of milk
3 – 4 slices of velveeta cheese (arouns ½ inch thick)

1.) Rip the bread into small pieces and put in the bottom of a bowl
2.) Fill the bowl 3/4 full with the coffee.
3.) Add the milk and then sprinkle the sugar on top
4.) Top with the slices of cheese and microwave until the cheese starts to melt on top.



Comments

Unknown said…
Government cheese is called "commodity" cheese. Its just large blocks of American cheese.

Popular Posts