Clue

So this weekend, a little mystery! Kind of.

Clue (the movie) is definitely a blast from my past. I have to say growing up I loved this movie. I knew the movie before I knew the game (in fact, I first played the board game while visiting my in-laws this past year. Yep, I won). I am probably in a different boat that most people in that I didn't know the game first, but now that I know the game I do have a deeper level of appreciation for the movie. Little details really matter, especially if you know the game. The Lethal Weapons are straight out of the game, the character's cars match the color of their game piece from the the game, even the floor is the same (Julie noticed this right away!)

It is a bit of nostalgia, but is it entertaining? Well, depends. I do have to concede that it is not as good as I remembered. the humor is very subtle, you really have to be looking for it, or it is infantile and a bit repetitive. The interactions of the characters are at times very funny and the characters are very diverse and fun to watch together. There is a pretty significant set up. It takes a good 30 minutes before someone dies and that is where the game starts (and to be honest what most people want to see happen)! But once the killing starts it just keeps on going. The pace gradually quickens until by the end it is at a sprint, literally!

The real area where this movie shines is trying to figure out who done it. The movie reveals how the murders took place, in fact it gives you a couple of scenarios. It leaves you looking back and thinking, "Oh, all that stuff that was boring to me because I wanted to get to the murders, was for a reason. I guess I should have been paying attention. My Bad." This is the kind of movie that you can watch again and then it all makes sense. You don't know how you missed it, but there is no one to blame but yourself.

Overall, it is pretty good. Tim Curry does a great job of carrying the film especially near the end, and I have to confess, I love the Peacock! If you are a really attentive veiwer, you may have it figured out. But if your like me, if will take you more than one viewing for you to have a clue.

3 out of 5

Comments

Popular Posts