Feast

So, usually I a fan of overly bloody movies. I even like the overly bloody horror-comedies out there (see Dead Alive), but this movie just didn't do it for me. I understand that the movie is supposed to be over the top, which makes it funny? The problem is this movie just does not go far enough. Yes, there is a lot of blood and yes there is a lot of gross things going on but just not enough to push it into the funny realm.

But I do have to give this film props for trying to break into the horror-comedy genre (an elusive genre to be sure), but like I said it just doesn't go far enough. There are a few moments of brilliance, such as flashing bios on the screen that includes life expectancy. This was one area this movie set itself apart. It tried to poke fun at the way horror movies have cliche' characters who live and die depending on who they are. The problem this movie is you become too attached to certain characters that meet an untimely end. The movie tried to be "funny" by killing off "heroes" and "heroins", but by the time it happens ,you don't want them to die. This just sucks the humor right out of you. The film starts off doing very well on the funny side, but there are just not enough characters running around for you to not give a crap if someone dies. Even the characters you hate, you still just spent 30 minutes with them and even if they deserve it and you may even want it to happen, it just isn't funny.

Effects and gore are good. I was a bit confused by the whole monsters wearing other animals thing. I think it was just a way to get basically two monsters in the same movie.

This movie tried to poke fun at the horror movie genre, but in my opinion has too many of the unnecessary cliche that most of these movies have to begin with. Examples: Unnecessary Sex Scene, Monster Sex Scene, Curse words, The characters are even named for their stereotypes! (which could have been really funny if they didn't stick totally to that stereotype. I mean how is it funny when you come and and tell me, "look how stupid this is, these characters are so cookie cutter" and then you yourself use the same cookie cutter! It just didn't make me laugh.)

Bottom line, Could have been a decent horror movie, could have been a decent horror-comedy, but falls somewhere in the middle and isn't that good at anything.

2.5 our of 5

Comments

Popular Posts