Edge of Darkness

What can I say about Edge of Darkness other than not dark enough. Mel Gibson plays a man investigating the murder of his daughter that leads him down a path to uncover a mass conspiracy. The movie sets the stage well enough. The murder scene is very brutal (I loved it!). It kinda of hits you over the head and says, "This movie is going to be intense!" If only the rest of the movie was this intense.

With a name like Edge of Darkness, I was expecting at least a dark, brooding vibe, but I didn't get that. I got a cop/crime thriller. I was ready for Mel to just lose it, to destroy all in his path, to go on a murderous rampage to avenge his daughter's death, and make those who had anything to do with it suffer. That is not what this movie develops into. (If that is something you are looking for check out Taken or better yet Man on Fire). Instead, this movie is a man trying to piece it together, of course he breaks that law and roughs a few people up, but he still seems to be a bit reserved. I just wanted the film to take it farther. I wanted him to fall over the "edge" (of darkness one might say). There are all these moments when the plot just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am just an evil person, but kill the guy who knows who killed your daughter (or at least beat it out of him) instead of having a conversation with him that I can't even understand. I guess it is just me.

Overall, maybe worth a rent, but not very high on my list. There are better revenge movies (Kill Bill, Man on Fire) and even better father/daughter revenges (Taken) out there. The problem is this movie advertises it will take you to the edge, but I feel like it left me out in the darkness.

2.5 out of 5

Comments

Popular Posts