Surrogates


So, Julie and I decided to check out Surrogates. When I saw trailers for this movie, I thought it was going to be great. I was looking forward to seeing it in the theaters and then... nothing. This movie was basically in and out of theaters in a week. I didn't read any reviews or anything, but when a movie goes into theaters as silently as this one did, there has to be something wrong with it. So is there?

Well, I can't say it was the best movie I have ever seen, but it wasn’t bad. The premise of the movie is thought provoking to say the least and probably the best this about the movie. To sum it up, in the near future, people no longer leave the comfort of their homes. Instead, their lives are lived by robots that are controlled via their brain. They are living vicariously through their robot alter egos. This is a really cool idea, but overall not developed to any significantly meaningful degree. Yes, the film does touch on things like a husband and wife who never actually physically see each other, people living in communes to lead "natural lives," our dependence on technology and so on, but that is one of the flaws of this movie. It tries to touch on too many things that are way too deep for its own good. Remember, this is an action movie at heart. You really can’t deal with all these philosophical issues when you have to make room for a chase or helicopter crash.

But I have to say my biggest gripe is the predictability of everything that happens. Within 30 minutes, I figured out much of what was going to happen (maybe that is just because I am a genius, but I think that is giving myself, and this movie, too much credit.) This movie is very, very similar to I,Robot (which I think is better). Even the music has the same feel and at least in I,Robot there was some unpredictability. Anyway, one thing that really did impress me with this movie was Bruce Willis’s Surrogate when compared to his “real” self. They look 20 years different! (see the pictures below) Julie and I looked at each other and were like, “Is that the same guy!” So kudos to the effects guys on that one!








In the end, this is a movie that is a bit too big for its britches. Really awesome premise. Weak script. It is not a bad idea to check it out, if nothing else just to get yourself thinking about a future where human contact has been eliminated, but you will have to do the think on your own. This is an action movie remember.

3.5 out of 5

Comments

Popular Posts