Avatar Review

Avatar. Big. Very Big. Hype and expectations. But does it deliver? I have to say that I left the theater very satisfied. It was a great example where the movie actually needed to be 3 hours long to tale a complete story, but still wanting more in the end.
I saw Avatar in 3D, which may have some influence in my next comment. This is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. If you are a fan of visual achievement and big-screen effects, this is a movie for you. The environments take you to another place. You become completely immersed in the world of this movie (which way be why the 3 hours seems to go so fast.) You really wish you could walk around and reach out and touch all the wonderful things flashing before you eyes. Mr. Cameron did a good job of really making the 3D pop.
It really did make the world come alive. I will say that I was a little disappointed in an occasional 3D cheap shot, like something coming at the camera, or jumping at you, that you know is only there because the movie was filmed in 3D. Oh, well. I guess that is the nature f the beast when it come to 3D.

The plot follow a marine who falls in love with the enemy and then the enemy become the friend. Reminded me a lot of the Last Samurai in a way. This acting was so-so for me. I though that the Avatar characters, which I assume are completely CG, seemed to act better than the real people, especially in the case of the main character. That said, the plot does try to deliver, but because the film has so many other things going for it, the human actors kind of come off as stereotypes with no really dynamics. This is where the CG is really impressive. The native peoples are stunning.
For CG characters they go through the range of emotions that we expect from seasoned actors and the animators have done some amazing things. Not since Jurassic Park have I been impressed with CG this much. You forget that it is. The love store, which I guess is a prerequisite to every movie now a days, is a integral part of the story. I just wish there would be a bit more development of the main character appreciation
of the race, but like I said the story is enough to hook you, and there is enough action to keep you on the edge.

The film does make a few statements about current event, which is always good to think about. You will have to check it our for yourself and come to your own conclusions, but I like the subtle gabs, while not being too political.

Bottom Line: Lives up to the hype. Well made and enjoyable fun with a message. It is probably one of the most beautiful films I have seen, and though the story and characters aren't quite as awe-inspiring, it is well worth seeing.

4 out of 5 stars

Comments

Popular Posts