Momma's Turkey Stew with Dumplings

Blog friends-
 This is a crock pot recipe that I honestly didn't have much hope in, but after it was all said and done, Tom and I enjoyed it very much.  Tom even asked when we would be having this again!  I don't think it hits a home run by any means, but it's a hearty and filling meal that again doesn't involve a whole lot of ingredients or preparation.  The only preparation that really took some planning was the dumplings that you made at the end and the cooking of the turkey prior to placing it in the crockpot.  25 minutes or so before serving this meal, you need to combine the milk and biscuit mix and place them in scoops on top of the turkey stew.  This was very easy to do, it just took some time management to make sure you weren't ready to serve until these were ready.  And I would definitely not leave these dumplings out of the recipe.  It was a great starch to have with the stew and turned out quite nicely!   One thing that I didn't use was the actual shredded turkey.  I had ground turkey already at home, so I substituted that instead. I think it definitely would have been better with the shredded turkey, though.  I even thought it might be good to have shredded chicken as well.   I know you won't believe it, but I found this recipe in "Taste of Home"!  I guess I can't get enough of this magazine.  But don't worry, I am currently making another crock pot recipe that is not a "Taste of Home" recipe.  I'm branching out! :)  

Enjoy this hearty crock pot meal!





  • Prep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
  • Yield: 6 Servings
20390410

Ingredients

  • 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 2 large carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • Spice Islands® Bay Leaves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup cold water
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
  • 1/3 cup 2% milk

Directions

  • In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients; stir in broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
  • Remove bay leaves. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into turkey mixture. Add corn and peas. Cover and cook on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
  • Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix baking mix and milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls on top of simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and steam for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts