Slow-Simmering Beef Bourguignon

Hello blog friends!

When I began preparing for dinner this week, I thought I should get used to using the crock pot more frequently since I'm sure I'll be using it when the baby arrives.  In the past I think I've underestimated how delicious meals can be from the crockpot.  When I was working full time, it was difficult to get the crock pot ready so early in the morning (left the house at 6:00!) and it was always on so late (wouldn't get home until 6:00 that night).   Soooo, I never felt like I had much luck with the crockpot.

That is, until I began using it this summer!  It's a great tool and so many crockpot recipes are delicious!  I am looking forward to using it more often, especially now that prepping can be so easily done in the morning while the baby is taking a nap. Most recipes I've found require very little prepping, so it won't take much time to get it ready.

One recipe I tried this week was from the magazine Taste of  Home.  The recipe I tried was called "Slow-Simmering Beef Bourguignon".  It was very easy to prep and it was quite a hearty meal!  Tom and I had enough to eat for two nights! In a lot of ways, I'm like my mother because she always likes to tweak recipes.  As you'll see from the recipe below, it calls for red wine and calls for bacon.  Well, if I'm being honest, I used neither!  I did substitute extra beef broth as it called for instead of using the wine (We haven't been buying wine since I'm still pregnant and now it's so inconvenient to go to a wine store instead of buying it in the grocery store like we did in Richmond).  Also, I knew I'd only be using one strip of the bacon for this recipe, so I thought I'd take a gamble and not use it.  Now, for you bacon lovers out there, I'm sure that would be a huge "no no"!!  And I'll probably use it the next time I make this recipe.  But, without these two things, the meal was still very tasty and had lots of flavor.  Another thing I changed was omitting the mushrooms.  Tom and I will eat mushrooms, but we're not big fans.  So instead of using mushrooms, I substituted celery.  If you happen to try it with the bacon and wine, be sure to let me know your thoughts!

I hope you enjoy making this!  It was very easy and made the house smell so good!  It's served over egg noodles and is very filling meal!  It's definitely a great homey meal for fall and winter.  :)

Here are some pictures of our Beef Bourguignon:




Here's the recipe!


  • Prep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
  • Yield: 6 Servings
30480510

Ingredients

  • 3 pounds beef stew meat
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or additional beef broth, divided
  • 3/4 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1 thick-sliced bacon strip, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons Italian tomato paste
  • Hot cooked egg noodles

Directions

  • Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon to a 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. Add flour; toss to coat. Add broth and 1 cup wine.
  • In the same skillet, add the mushrooms, onion, carrots and bacon; cook and stir over medium heat until carrots are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in tomato paste. Transfer to slow cooker.
  • Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with noodles. 
  • Yield: 6 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts